Myanmar police charge 7 for staging land protest
Yangon: Police in Myanmar have filed charges of unlawful assembly against seven people who staged a peaceful protest in Yangon against land confiscation.
Police said on Friday that those charged included labour rights lawyer Pho Phyu, who was with more than 30 farmers who staged a sit-in on Thursday in front of the government housing department. They are also charged with refusing a police order to disperse.
The protest came as the outside world is watching the government`s commitment to democratic reforms.
The United States and other Western nations are maintaining political and economic sanctions against the repressive former ruling junta. But they have indicated they would respond positively to liberalisation moves, such as a mass release of political prisoners.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- With 31% jump, HDFC's Aditya Puri top gainer in salary hike among private bank chiefs
- Team India to attend preparatory camp under new coach Anil Kumble!
- Like seriously! Marijuana is legal in these 8 countries
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why