Myanmar political prisoner amnesty soon: Officials
Yangon: Myanmar is on the verge of
freeing political prisoners, officials said on Monday, as the
United States hailed "dramatic developments" in the country
after decades of military rule.
The release of the country`s estimated 2,000 political
detainees, who include pro-democracy campaigners, journalists
and lawyers, has long been a top demand of Western nations
which imposed sanctions on Myanmar.
"Political prisoners will be released. But we still do
not know whether all of them will be freed," said a government
official who did not want to be named, adding that the pardon
was expected "within days".
A second official said the release would come before
President Thein Sein leaves Wednesday on an official visit to
An amnesty would be the latest sign of political
change under a new nominally civilian government that has
reached out to critics including opposition leader Aung San
Suu Kyi, freed in November after seven straight years of
Her National League for Democracy (NLD) said it was
"expecting" all political detainees to be released.
A top US official, Kurt Campbell, today hailed recent
developments in Myanmar, including what he described as "very
consequential dialogue" between Suu Kyi and the leadership.
Campbell, one of several US officials to hold rare
talks with Myanmar Foreign Minister Wunna Maung Lwin in
Washington recently, said while concerns remain, "it is also
undeniably the case that there are dramatic developments under
US President Barack Obama`s administration has pursued
both diplomatic engagement towards and continued sanctions
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand