Myanmar president establishes anti-graft team
Yangon: Myanmar President Thein Sein has established a nine-member anti-corruption team in his latest reform for the country`s newly unshackled economy.
State media reported today that the Action Committee Against Corruption will be headed by one of the country`s two vice presidents and will fight widespread corruption and implement clean government. Details of its powers were not given. Thein Sein established the body yesterday.
The anti-corruption group Transparency International says Myanmar is perceived as one of the world`s most corrupt countries, ranking 172nd out of 176.
Business tycoons have entrenched themselves by cutting deals with the country`s former military leaders, and privatization of state resources in the transition to a free market economy has opened up opportunities for graft.
Corruption is a longstanding problem in most South and Southeast Asian nations, and efforts to fight it have met with mixed results, as anti-graft bodies are sometime used by governments as political tools to attack their rivals.
The team will be the first official anti-corruption body in the country`s history, and is the latest of the reforms Thein Sein has undertaken since taking office in March 2011 after a half-century of military rule.
Other measures for which the former general who had been prime minister under the ruling junta has won international praise include ending direct media censorship, releasing political prisoners and allowing public demonstrations.
In a speech in December, he voiced rare public criticism of the bureaucracy, saying that rampant corruption, bribery and inefficiency were getting in the way of the country`s much-touted reform process and that Myanmar still falls short of international norms in good governance.
He reprimanded a gathering of Cabinet ministers, regional leaders and other senior bureaucrats in the speech, broadcast live on nationwide television and radio, and said the third wave of his government reforms will target corruption.
The first wave of change under his government focused on political reforms and national reconciliation, while the second wave was aimed at helping the country`s economy.
Thein Sein has frequently spoken about the need to eliminate corruption, and said he has repeatedly told government officials "to strive for good governance and clean government."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'