Myanmar President postpones Thailand trip
Bangkok: Myanmar`s president Thein Sein has cancelled his participation at this week`s World Economic Forum East Asia meet here where opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi will be present.
"The Myanmar president, Thein Sein, will be coming to Thailand, but he has postponed it for a few days," Senior Director and Head of Asia, WEF, Suchanth Palakurthi Rao, said on Monday.
Nobel laureate Suu Kyi, chairperson of Myanmar`s National League for Democracy, will attend a WEF forum panel session on June 1.
"Thein Sein is now scheduled to arrive in Thailand for an official visit on June 3-4," Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi was quoted by Nation newspaper as saying.
"The Myanmar foreign ministry said he could not attend the WEF due to his need to stay in the country during that period," he said.
Thein Sein was invited to the forum, which will host Nobel laureate Suu Kyi as part of her historic first appearance outside Myanmar after 24 years.
Besides Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, four heads of foreign governments -- Nguyen Tan Dung, the prime minister of Vietnam; Thongsing Thammavong, prime minister of Laos; Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, president of Indonesia; and His Royal Highness Prince Al Khalifa, prime minister of Bahrain -- have confirmed participation at the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore