Myanmar President postpones Thailand trip
Bangkok: Myanmar`s president Thein Sein has cancelled his participation at this week`s World Economic Forum East Asia meet here where opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi will be present.
"The Myanmar president, Thein Sein, will be coming to Thailand, but he has postponed it for a few days," Senior Director and Head of Asia, WEF, Suchanth Palakurthi Rao, said on Monday.
Nobel laureate Suu Kyi, chairperson of Myanmar`s National League for Democracy, will attend a WEF forum panel session on June 1.
"Thein Sein is now scheduled to arrive in Thailand for an official visit on June 3-4," Thai Foreign Ministry spokesman Thani Thongphakdi was quoted by Nation newspaper as saying.
"The Myanmar foreign ministry said he could not attend the WEF due to his need to stay in the country during that period," he said.
Thein Sein was invited to the forum, which will host Nobel laureate Suu Kyi as part of her historic first appearance outside Myanmar after 24 years.
Besides Thai Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, four heads of foreign governments -- Nguyen Tan Dung, the prime minister of Vietnam; Thongsing Thammavong, prime minister of Laos; Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, president of Indonesia; and His Royal Highness Prince Al Khalifa, prime minister of Bahrain -- have confirmed participation at the conference.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- PM Modi condoles former Singapore President Nathan's death
- No. 1 in Tests: Pakistan cricket team's rise completes journey from isolation to triumph
- Oh fresh! Check out Ranveer Singh, Vaani Kapoor's chemistry in this latest still from 'Befikre'
- Watch: Pune bakery workers forced to do sit-ups for refusing to pay donation for Ganesh festival
- 3.1-magnitude earthquake jolts Assam