Myanmar President says no turning back on reforms
Yangon: Myanmar`s President says there`s no turning back on democratic reforms and is urging the West to lift sanctions on his country. He has even dangled the possibility of giving opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi a Cabinet post.
President Thein Sein says in an interview in Friday`s Washington Post: "We are on the right track to democracy... We don`t have any intention to draw back."
Thein Sein`s government took office in March, ending a half century of military rule. Since then, it has rolled out reforms at a pace that has surprised even Myanmar`s staunchest critics.
He said if Suu Kyi wins a seat in Parliament and lawmakers elect her into government "we will have to accept that she becomes a Cabinet minister”.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- It's a Black Hole Friday for NASA!
- Shocking! Anurag Basu feels Salman Khan is ‘boring’?
- Kapil Sharma organises ‘wedding’ ceremony for married Harbhajan Singh, Geeta Basra?
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife