Myanmar President vows `healthy democracy`
Singapore: Myanmar`s President on Monday pledged
to establish a "healthy democracy" after nearly half a century
of iron-fisted military rule as he sought Singapore`s help to
modernise the creaking economy.
President Thein Sein, in Singapore for a four-day state
visit, also appealed to the global community to continue
encouraging Myanmar on its reform path, saying the transition
period was fraught with challenges.
"The international community should render its support and
encouragement to our effort to meet our objectives because a
young democratic nation has emerged on this planet," Thein
Sein told a lavish state dinner held in his honour.
"We have turned a new page in our country in order to
create better conditions in Myanmar. We want to give a
brighter future for our people.
"We want our people to take part in the democratic reform
process and we want democracy to thrive in Myanmar. I wish to
assure you that I shall endeavour to establish a healthy
democracy in Myanmar."
The ex-general and former member of Myanmar`s feared junta
added that "since we are on the right track to democracy we
shall overcome these challenges with great care and proceed
ahead till we reach our goals".
Thein Sein was appointed president in February last year
after November 2010 elections that have ushered in reforms in
Myanmar that have surprised international observers, though
the West is demanding more still be done.
Earlier today, Thein Sein met Singapore Prime Minister Lee
Hsien Loong and the pair witnessed the signing by their
foreign ministers of an agreement under which Singapore will
provide training for reforms in the legal, banking and
The pact also calls on Singapore to share its best
practices in trade, tourism and urban planning. Resource-rich
but largely untapped Myanmar in return offers attractive
opportunities for Singapore businesses.
Thein Sein was accompanied by a top-level delegation which
included business leaders and top ministers in charge of
economic portfolios, underlining the importance of the trip to
Myanmar`s nominally civilian government.
Singapore President Tony Tan said the wealthy city-state
would strengthen economic cooperation and business links with
Myanmar, as the country emerges from decades of political and
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark