Myanmar Prez Thein Sein asked to free 250 political prisoners
Washington: Lawmakers are asking Myanmar President Thein Sein to free nearly 250 political prisoners.
Thein Sein met today with members of the Senate and House, a day after he became the first Myanmar leader to visit the White House in five decades.
As Myanmar has shifted from military rule in the past two years, it has freed hundreds of political detainees but others are still held.
House Democratic leader Nancy Pelosi and three other Democrats handed Thein Sein a prisoner list and called for an end to attacks on minorities.
President Barack Obama voiced strong support yesterday for Thein Sein`s leadership, but said violence against minority Muslims needs to stop.
Thein Sein also met with Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell to discuss political reform.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed