Myanmar rights body calls for general amnesty
Yangon: Myanmar`s state-run media says a
government-appointed human rights body has appealed to the
President to release prisoners who are not a threat to
Myanmar`s three state-owned newspapers today ran the
appeal by National Human Rights Commission chairman Win Mra
calling on President Thein Sein to issue a general amnesty.
Publication of the appeal is significant because the
newspapers closely reflect government positions.
However, previous such calls for a general amnesty have
not resulted in a full release of inmates who are considered
Kyi Kyi Nyunt says she will believe rumors of a general
amnesty only once her brother, former student leader Min Ko
Naing, comes home. He is serving a 65-year prison term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday