Myanmar rights body calls for general amnesty
Yangon: Myanmar`s state-run media says a
government-appointed human rights body has appealed to the
President to release prisoners who are not a threat to
Myanmar`s three state-owned newspapers today ran the
appeal by National Human Rights Commission chairman Win Mra
calling on President Thein Sein to issue a general amnesty.
Publication of the appeal is significant because the
newspapers closely reflect government positions.
However, previous such calls for a general amnesty have
not resulted in a full release of inmates who are considered
Kyi Kyi Nyunt says she will believe rumors of a general
amnesty only once her brother, former student leader Min Ko
Naing, comes home. He is serving a 65-year prison term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- US zoo kills gorilla after 3-year-old boy falls into enclosure
- EC cancels polls for two remaining Tamil Nadu Assembly seats - Know why
- Cloudbursts, rainfall in Tehri district of Uttarakhand; Gangotri-Kedarnath road closed, pilgrims stranded
- WATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Real Madrid vs Atletico Madrid - UEFA Champions League final
- Daniel Craig 'exhausted' from playing James Bond