Myanmar rights body calls for general amnesty
Yangon: Myanmar`s state-run media says a
government-appointed human rights body has appealed to the
President to release prisoners who are not a threat to
Myanmar`s three state-owned newspapers today ran the
appeal by National Human Rights Commission chairman Win Mra
calling on President Thein Sein to issue a general amnesty.
Publication of the appeal is significant because the
newspapers closely reflect government positions.
However, previous such calls for a general amnesty have
not resulted in a full release of inmates who are considered
Kyi Kyi Nyunt says she will believe rumors of a general
amnesty only once her brother, former student leader Min Ko
Naing, comes home. He is serving a 65-year prison term.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!