Myanmar riot: 18 suspects arrested
Yangon: Myanmar police have arrested 18 suspects in connection with a riot that killed at least 32 people and which left over 9,600 homeless, the information ministry said.
Ten other suspects are being hunted down for the riot in Meikhtila in northern Mandalay region that took place March 20 to 22, Xinhua reported.
Sources said 17 other suspects linked with arson in Yamethin, about 54 km from Meikhtila, were also detained by police.
Dozens of houses and religious buildings were reportedly set on fire in Yamethin Saturday night.
The situation in Meikthila has remained calm since President U Thein Sein declared a state of emergency and deployed armed forces to deal with the riot.
Relief and rehabilitation work have been underway in the riot-hit areas where six relief camps have been set up.
The riot was sparked by a brawl between Buddhist buyers and a Muslim shopkeeper at a gold shop. In the riot, 152 houses and 13 religious buildings were burnt and two motor vehicles and three motorcycles were destroyed, according to official sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP wins 82 seats in nail-biting finish, Shiv Sena 84; Uddhav, Fadnavis non-committal on alliance
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up