Myanmar riot: 18 suspects arrested
Yangon: Myanmar police have arrested 18 suspects in connection with a riot that killed at least 32 people and which left over 9,600 homeless, the information ministry said.
Ten other suspects are being hunted down for the riot in Meikhtila in northern Mandalay region that took place March 20 to 22, Xinhua reported.
Sources said 17 other suspects linked with arson in Yamethin, about 54 km from Meikhtila, were also detained by police.
Dozens of houses and religious buildings were reportedly set on fire in Yamethin Saturday night.
The situation in Meikthila has remained calm since President U Thein Sein declared a state of emergency and deployed armed forces to deal with the riot.
Relief and rehabilitation work have been underway in the riot-hit areas where six relief camps have been set up.
The riot was sparked by a brawl between Buddhist buyers and a Muslim shopkeeper at a gold shop. In the riot, 152 houses and 13 religious buildings were burnt and two motor vehicles and three motorcycles were destroyed, according to official sources.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- This happens only in Pakistan? You won't believe what this boy did in front of his lady teacher - WATCH
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video