Myanmar riot death toll rises to 40
Yangon: The death toll in a communal riot in Myanmar has risen to 40, according to an official media report on Tuesday.
The toll rose from 32 as eight more bodies were found when troops cleared the wreckage in the wake of the riot which lasted three days in Meikhtila from March 20, leaving 9,600 people homeless.
Meikhtila is in Myanmar`s northern Mandalay region, Xinhua reported.
The situation is now normal following the declaration of a state of emergency and with the intervention of the army to help bring about peace.
The riot was sparked by a brawl between buyers and sellers over a bit of gold clip at a shop in Meikhtila,
A total of 152 houses, an education office and 13 religious buildings were burnt in the violence besides two motor vehicles and three motorcycles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Haryana minister Krishan Bedi mocks Modi's 'Swachh Bharat Abhiyan'
- BJP likely to form next govt in Bihar: Mulayam Singh
- Shiv Sena spills ink on ORF chairperson Sudheendra Kulkarni's face
- Bihar Polls: Lalu Yadav's controversial tweet against Karpoori Thakur and PM Modi
- Hafiz Saeed teaching terrorism to children in Pakistan
- ISL 2015: Atletico de Kolkata vs Kerala Blasters - Preview
- Aarushi Talwar's grandfather breaks silence, writes open letter – Read
- 2015 Bihar Assembly Elections: 57% voting in first phase, women voters outnumber men
- Bigg Boss double trouble: Four lovebirds, one former couple inside the house
- Five ways to get pregnant fast!