Myanmar riot death toll rises to 40
Yangon: The death toll in a communal riot in Myanmar has risen to 40, according to an official media report on Tuesday.
The toll rose from 32 as eight more bodies were found when troops cleared the wreckage in the wake of the riot which lasted three days in Meikhtila from March 20, leaving 9,600 people homeless.
Meikhtila is in Myanmar`s northern Mandalay region, Xinhua reported.
The situation is now normal following the declaration of a state of emergency and with the intervention of the army to help bring about peace.
The riot was sparked by a brawl between buyers and sellers over a bit of gold clip at a shop in Meikhtila,
A total of 152 houses, an education office and 13 religious buildings were burnt in the violence besides two motor vehicles and three motorcycles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram on July 30