Myanmar riot death toll rises to 40
Yangon: The death toll in a communal riot in Myanmar has risen to 40, according to an official media report on Tuesday.
The toll rose from 32 as eight more bodies were found when troops cleared the wreckage in the wake of the riot which lasted three days in Meikhtila from March 20, leaving 9,600 people homeless.
Meikhtila is in Myanmar`s northern Mandalay region, Xinhua reported.
The situation is now normal following the declaration of a state of emergency and with the intervention of the army to help bring about peace.
The riot was sparked by a brawl between buyers and sellers over a bit of gold clip at a shop in Meikhtila,
A total of 152 houses, an education office and 13 religious buildings were burnt in the violence besides two motor vehicles and three motorcycles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- UK pensions minister Crabb considering bid to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- Special panel on India's NSG membership bid? We're not aware, says China
- Ruby Rai, Bihar Class 12 topper now under arrest for cheating, says she never wanted to top the exam
- Euro 2016: Iceland stun England in one of greatest ever shocks
- Three new suicide attacks in Lebanon village near Syria