Myanmar riot toll rises to 32
Yangon: The death toll in a communal riot in Meikthila in northern Myanmar has risen to 32, state-run media reported.
According to Xinhua, the state radio and TV said in a broadcast that many bodies were found while clearing the debris.
The riot left over 9,600 people homeless out of a populations of 500,000 in Meikhtila.
However, the situation was calm after security was tightened since Friday.
Relief and rehabilitation work are underway in riot-hit areas and the victims have been accommodated at six relief camps.
The riot was sparked by a brawl between buyers and sellers over a bit of gold clip at a gold shop Wednesday.
According to official sources, 152 houses, one education office and 13 religious buildings were burnt while two motor vehicles and three motorcycles were destroyed.
On Friday, President U Thein Sein declared a state of emergency in four townships -- Meikhtila, Wandwin, Mahlaing and Thazi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof