Myanmar state media reports Suu Kyi`s US trip
Yangon: Myanmar state media Friday reported news about opposition leader and parliamentarian Aung San Suu Kyi`s trip to the US for the first time, a rare move since the country loosened its press scrutiny.
The Myanmar government announced scrapping of direct media censorship Aug 27, a major step of its media reform to ensure more press freedom in the country, reported News agencies without naming the state media.
On the invitation of Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, Aung San Suu Kyi, also chairperson of the Committee for Rule of Law and Tranquility of the Lower House, is on a 20-day official visit to the US since Sep 16.
Suu Kyi had been presented with the US Congress` highest civilian honour at a ceremony in Washington, where Myanmar Minister at the President`s Office U Aung Min and Myanmar Ambassador to the US U Than Swe were present, according to reports.
The report quoted Suu Kyi as saying in her acceptance speech that nation building task of Myanmar was made possible by the reform measures instituted by President U Thein Sein.
She acknowledged the presence of Minister U Aung Min from Myanmar in the audience.
She expressed her belief over the future process of reform and national reconsolidation of Myanmar as well as the successful overcoming of difficulties along the future path with the help of friends of the world, according to the report.
In May, Suu Kyi paid a first visit to Thailand in 24 years and attended the World Economic Forum.
In June, she paid a 17-day visit to five European countries -- Switzerland, Norway, Britain, Ireland and France.
Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy (NLD) overwhelmingly won the April 1 by-elections, taking 43 out of 45 open parliamentary seats, of which 37 were in the House of Representatives (Lower House).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends