Myanmar Supreme Court to consider Suu Kyi appeal: Lawyer
Yangon: Myanmar`s Supreme Court has agreed to consider opposition leader Aung San Suu Kyi`s latest appeal against her house arrest, which is due to end next month, one of her lawyers said on Thursday.
The "special appeal" will be heard by a panel of three judges in the capital Naypyidaw. The date of the hearing has not yet been announced.
"We are always hoping for the best," said the lawyer, Khin Htay Kywe.
An official in the military-ruled country, who did not want to be named, confirmed that the Supreme Court had agreed yesterday to hear the appeal.
The Nobel Peace Prize laureate`s current term of detention is due to end on November 13, just days after national elections that critics have dismissed as a charade aimed at entrenching the junta`s hold on power.
Her lawyers say they expect her to be freed on that date but are continuing their efforts to have the conviction quashed.
Suu Kyi lodged the last-ditch appeal in May. She has already had her appeal rejected twice, most recently by the Supreme Court in February. Court verdicts in the Army-ruled country rarely favour opposition activists.
The democracy icon, who has spent most of the past two decades locked up, had her detention lengthened by 18 months in August last year over a bizarre incident in which an American man swam uninvited to her lakeside home.
Suu Kyi`s National League for Democracy has been forcibly abolished for boycotting the November 07 election. The party won a landslide election victory in 1990 but was never allowed to take office.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you