Myanmar, US hold dialogue on human rights
Yangon: Myanmar and the US have held a dialogue on human rights in Nay Pyi Taw, which marked a step forward in relations between the two countries, official media reported Thursday.
Myanmar delegation, led by director general of Legal and Consular Affairs Department of the Foreign Ministry U Tha Aung Nyunt,and the US delegation, led by visiting Assistant Secretary of Democracy, Human Rights and Labor Michael Posner, attended the dialogue, reported Xinhua.
"This dialogue would promote mutual trust and bilateral ties between Myanmar and the US," Myanmar Deputy Foreign Minister U Zin Yaw was quoted by the New Light of Myanmar as saying.
The two sides held talks on effectiveness of labour law, the role of private sector on protecting labour rights and promotion of economic performance.
The two sides also discussed ways for protection of civilians in conflict areas, provision of humanitarian assistance to those regions, criminal judicial system, the role of court and judicial staff in the rule of law, crime and punishment, matters related to prisoners, laws enacted by the parliament, the role of civil society and future programs.
Myanmar delegates said the dialogue was just an initial but a good step forward in their common efforts to promote and protect human rights in Myanmar, expressing the belief that the two countries would be able to continue cooperation on the basic goodwill and mutual understanding for the benefit of the two peoples and the bilateral cooperation in the area would contribute to the closer cooperation in the regional and international forums.
The dialogue was part of the Myanmar-US activities after the visits to the US by President U Thein Sein and opposition leader and parliamentarian Aung San Suu Kyi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof