Myanmar`s Army recovers captured Chinese boats
Yangon: Myanmar’s Army troops have recovered three Chinese boats and their crews who had been seized in a rare case of river piracy, Myanmar`s state media reported on Saturday.
The accounts of the incident on the Mekong River in the Golden Triangle region, where the borders of Myanmar, Laos and Thailand meet, did not identify the armed pirates or give a reason for their actions.
The state-owned Myanma Ahlin daily reported that five motorboats carrying armed men stopped the three privately owned vessels on April 02 as they were collecting decorative stones in the Mekong River near Tachileik township. Initially, the captains of two of the boats were taken away, but then the boats were seized and the third captain was abducted, with the 34 crew members kept hostage aboard the captured vessels.
The newspaper said a Myanmar Army operation on Monday caused the attackers to flee and abandon the vessels, leaving the captured captains behind on shore. It said the boats went safely on their way Friday.
The affair was a reminder of the area`s murky reputation — it is notorious for the production and trafficking of heroin and other illicit drugs, and decades-old armed ethnic rebel groups fighting the Myanmar government hold sway over swaths of border territory.
Piracy is not uncommon in the seas around Southeast Asia, but reports of river pirates are rare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues