Myanmar`s Army recovers captured Chinese boats
Yangon: Myanmar’s Army troops have recovered three Chinese boats and their crews who had been seized in a rare case of river piracy, Myanmar`s state media reported on Saturday.
The accounts of the incident on the Mekong River in the Golden Triangle region, where the borders of Myanmar, Laos and Thailand meet, did not identify the armed pirates or give a reason for their actions.
The state-owned Myanma Ahlin daily reported that five motorboats carrying armed men stopped the three privately owned vessels on April 02 as they were collecting decorative stones in the Mekong River near Tachileik township. Initially, the captains of two of the boats were taken away, but then the boats were seized and the third captain was abducted, with the 34 crew members kept hostage aboard the captured vessels.
The newspaper said a Myanmar Army operation on Monday caused the attackers to flee and abandon the vessels, leaving the captured captains behind on shore. It said the boats went safely on their way Friday.
The affair was a reminder of the area`s murky reputation — it is notorious for the production and trafficking of heroin and other illicit drugs, and decades-old armed ethnic rebel groups fighting the Myanmar government hold sway over swaths of border territory.
Piracy is not uncommon in the seas around Southeast Asia, but reports of river pirates are rare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'