Myanmar`s Army recovers captured Chinese boats
Yangon: Myanmar’s Army troops have recovered three Chinese boats and their crews who had been seized in a rare case of river piracy, Myanmar`s state media reported on Saturday.
The accounts of the incident on the Mekong River in the Golden Triangle region, where the borders of Myanmar, Laos and Thailand meet, did not identify the armed pirates or give a reason for their actions.
The state-owned Myanma Ahlin daily reported that five motorboats carrying armed men stopped the three privately owned vessels on April 02 as they were collecting decorative stones in the Mekong River near Tachileik township. Initially, the captains of two of the boats were taken away, but then the boats were seized and the third captain was abducted, with the 34 crew members kept hostage aboard the captured vessels.
The newspaper said a Myanmar Army operation on Monday caused the attackers to flee and abandon the vessels, leaving the captured captains behind on shore. It said the boats went safely on their way Friday.
The affair was a reminder of the area`s murky reputation — it is notorious for the production and trafficking of heroin and other illicit drugs, and decades-old armed ethnic rebel groups fighting the Myanmar government hold sway over swaths of border territory.
Piracy is not uncommon in the seas around Southeast Asia, but reports of river pirates are rare.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections