Myanmar’s PM forming new election party
Yangon: Myanmar`s Prime Minister, who recently retired from his military post, has applied to form a new political party ahead of rare elections expected later this year, state media reported on Friday.
Thein Sein and 26 others registered to form the `Union
Solidarity and Development Party` on Thursday at the election commission in the capital city of Naypyidaw, the Myanmar Ahlin and New Light of Myanmar newspapers said.
Although he was not named as the party`s candidate for premier, official sources said the newly formed USDP was led by Thein Sein.
"Prime Minister Thein Sein will lead the Union Solidarity and Development Party," an official said on condition of anonymity.
Some other ministers are also involved in the party, including Agriculture Minister Htay Oo and Industry Minister Aung Thaung, the official said.
The Prime Minister and some 22 other ministers retired from their military posts on Monday, in a move seen as converting the leadership to civilian form ahead of the elections due this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO