Myanmar’s PM forming new election party
Yangon: Myanmar`s Prime Minister, who recently retired from his military post, has applied to form a new political party ahead of rare elections expected later this year, state media reported on Friday.
Thein Sein and 26 others registered to form the `Union
Solidarity and Development Party` on Thursday at the election commission in the capital city of Naypyidaw, the Myanmar Ahlin and New Light of Myanmar newspapers said.
Although he was not named as the party`s candidate for premier, official sources said the newly formed USDP was led by Thein Sein.
"Prime Minister Thein Sein will lead the Union Solidarity and Development Party," an official said on condition of anonymity.
Some other ministers are also involved in the party, including Agriculture Minister Htay Oo and Industry Minister Aung Thaung, the official said.
The Prime Minister and some 22 other ministers retired from their military posts on Monday, in a move seen as converting the leadership to civilian form ahead of the elections due this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Fight for respect towards Dalits in UP merely a vote-garnering strategy?
- Gal Gadot plays the new DC superhero- 'Wonder Woman'! Watch trailer
- IMF flags decelerating pace of reforms in India; lists six areas for further reforms
- Black with a hint of gold, Sonam Kapoor's debonair suit will win your heart!
- Are you daring enough to visit THIS spooky 'Island of the Dolls'?
- Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson became more popular after death: Amitabh Bachchan