Myanmar’s PM forming new election party
Yangon: Myanmar`s Prime Minister, who recently retired from his military post, has applied to form a new political party ahead of rare elections expected later this year, state media reported on Friday.
Thein Sein and 26 others registered to form the `Union
Solidarity and Development Party` on Thursday at the election commission in the capital city of Naypyidaw, the Myanmar Ahlin and New Light of Myanmar newspapers said.
Although he was not named as the party`s candidate for premier, official sources said the newly formed USDP was led by Thein Sein.
"Prime Minister Thein Sein will lead the Union Solidarity and Development Party," an official said on condition of anonymity.
Some other ministers are also involved in the party, including Agriculture Minister Htay Oo and Industry Minister Aung Thaung, the official said.
The Prime Minister and some 22 other ministers retired from their military posts on Monday, in a move seen as converting the leadership to civilian form ahead of the elections due this year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof