Myanmar`s Suu Kyi meets with new President
Yangon: Myanmar`s government invited pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi to a meeting on Friday with the new President, an official said, in the clearest step toward a political dialogue since she was released from house arrest in November.
Details of Suu Kyi`s first meeting with President Thein Sein, including how long they met and what they discussed, were not immediately available, the official said, but added that the meeting was "significant." He spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to speak with journalists.
The 66-year-old Nobel Peace Prize laureate has repeatedly been called for political dialogue with the government since her release from seven years of house arrest. She made her first trip to the administrative capital Naypyitaw on Friday and later went into the meeting with Thein Sein, the official added.
Thein Sein took power in March after an election that critics dismissed as a sham to create a nominally civilian government, while entrenching the country`s military rulers. However, the new government has become more open about meeting with dissidents, and has introduced economic reforms.
Thein Sein on Wednesday had invited Suu Kyi to attend a national economic development forum that started today in Naypyitaw. However, Suu Kyi did not attend the forum.
In another conciliatory gesture, the government on Wednesday invited armed ethnic groups to hold peace talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray