Myanmar`s Suu Kyi party calls for her freedom on anniversary
Yangon: Myanmar`s leading opposition party marked its 21st anniversary on Sunday by calling on the country`s military regime to free its detained leader, Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi.
Around 250 party members, diplomats and former political prisoners attended a gathering at the National League for Democracy`s headquarters in Yangon, amid tight security, to celebrate the party`s formation in 1988.
"On our anniversary day I want to say that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi should be allowed to take part freely in politics. She herself is a politician and our party is acknowledged by the government," NLD spokesman Nyan Win said.
The party also called for the release of other detained political prisoners and the reopening of its regional offices around the country.
The NLD won a landslide in 1990 elections but the junta refused to recognise the victory, and pro-democracy icon Suu Kyi has spent 14 of the past 20 years under house arrest or in jail.
The ruling generals extended her house arrest by 18 months in August after convicting her of breaching the terms of her detention, after an American man swam uninvited to her house.
The sentence keeps her out of the way for elections promised by the junta in 2010. The NLD has not yet said if it will take part in the polls, which critics say are a sham to legitimise the generals` grip on power.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!
- Those ready to work 20 hours daily are welcome, rest can leave - UP CM Yogi Adityanath's message to govt officials
- India vs Australia: Ravindra Jadeja clobbers Steve O'Keefe, Nathan Lyon for sixes — VIDEO