Myanmar’s Suu Kyi returns from Europe
Yangon: After a triumphant tour of Europe, Aung San Suu Kyi returned to Myanmar on Saturday.
Thousands of jubilant supporters packed into Yangon`s airport and lined the roads outside waving opposition party flags and holding banners.
The 67-year-old opposition leader smiled and waved as supporters lavished her with floral bouquets and she was escorted into a waiting car, which inched through the crowd on the way to her lakeside villa.
During her two-week Europe tour, Suu Kyi won enthusiastic support for her role in Myanmar`s democratic transition and was celebrated like a head of state.
The Myanmar’s opposition leader met with political leaders in Switzerland, Norway, Ireland, England and France.
The trip`s highlights included Suu Kyi`s long-awaited acceptance speech for the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize, which she won while under house arrest in Myanmar.
Suu Kyi`s trip did not receive any coverage by Myanmar`s state-run media, nor has the government of President Thein Sein commented on it. The massive attention Suu Kyi received during a recent trip to Thailand reportedly irked Thein Sein.
The former military regime kept Suu Kyi under house arrest for 15 of 23 years. She was freed in 2010, after the military ceded power to a nominally civilian government.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- BSF cancels beating the retreat ceremony at Wagah post surgical strikes
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’