Myanmar’s Suu Kyi returns from Europe
Yangon: After a triumphant tour of Europe, Aung San Suu Kyi returned to Myanmar on Saturday.
Thousands of jubilant supporters packed into Yangon`s airport and lined the roads outside waving opposition party flags and holding banners.
The 67-year-old opposition leader smiled and waved as supporters lavished her with floral bouquets and she was escorted into a waiting car, which inched through the crowd on the way to her lakeside villa.
During her two-week Europe tour, Suu Kyi won enthusiastic support for her role in Myanmar`s democratic transition and was celebrated like a head of state.
The Myanmar’s opposition leader met with political leaders in Switzerland, Norway, Ireland, England and France.
The trip`s highlights included Suu Kyi`s long-awaited acceptance speech for the 1991 Nobel Peace Prize, which she won while under house arrest in Myanmar.
Suu Kyi`s trip did not receive any coverage by Myanmar`s state-run media, nor has the government of President Thein Sein commented on it. The massive attention Suu Kyi received during a recent trip to Thailand reportedly irked Thein Sein.
The former military regime kept Suu Kyi under house arrest for 15 of 23 years. She was freed in 2010, after the military ceded power to a nominally civilian government.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?