`N Korea Army Chief sacked for opposing Kim Jong-un`
Pyongyang: The abrupt dismissal of North Korea`s military chief from all his posts was designed to remove opposition to major economic reforms about to be initiated by the country`s young leader, Kim Jong-un, according to a report.
An unnamed source revealed that Army Chief Ri Yong-ho was sacked for opposing plans to seize control of economic policy from the military.
The source, with close ties to the governments in Beijing and Pyongyang, said a special cabinet had been created to take over control of the decaying economy from the military, which boasts 1.2 million troops, The Guardian reports.
According to the paper, the military`s mishandling of the economy has been blamed for a crippling famine in the 1990s from which the country never properly recovered.
Ri had been one of the regime`s most enthusiastic champions of the ‘songun’ military policy, first pioneered by the country`s former leader, Kim Jong-il, who died in December last year.
The state-run media said Ri was removed from all his posts, including the influential role of vice-chairman of the ruling party`s central military commission, due to ‘illness’.
According to the paper, his removal was the clearest signal yet that Kim Jong-un is determined to implement long-overdue reforms to save the economy and prevent the regime from imploding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India