N Korea capable of producing weapons from uranium: S Korea
Seoul: North Korea is believed to be capable of producing nuclear weapons from enriched uranium as well as from its existing plutonium stockpile, South Korea`s defence minister said today.
"We evaluate that North Korea can produce nuclear weapons using uranium," Kim Kwan-Jin was quoted by Yonhap news agency as telling members of parliament.
He did not give details but it marked a rare assessment by a top South Korean official of the North`s nuclear capability.
North Korea has carried out three nuclear tests since the first in 2006 -- the last, and most powerful, in February this year.
The two previous tests used plutonium but it remains unknown whether the last test involved enriched uranium.
Satellite images suggest the North has restarted a plutonium-producing reactor at its main Yongbyon nuclear complex, and also doubled its uranium enrichment capacity at the same site.
Kim said Seoul was closely monitoring activities at Yongbyon.
"We suspect the North is testing the reactor and we are keeping a close eye on it," Kim said.
With the nuclear programmes, Pyongyang aims to extract international concessions, secure the status of a "nuclear weapons state", hold its regime together and gain the upper hand over the South through nuclear blackmail, Kim said.
A new study by Washington-based nuclear proliferation expert Joshua Pollack and nuclear scientist Scott Kemp, of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, suggests North Korea is capable of indigenously producing the key components of the gas centrifuges needed to enrich uranium.
Uranium enrichment carries a far smaller footprint than plutonium. It can be
arried out using centrifuge cascades in relatively small buildings that give off no heat and are less visible from satellites.
The North`s current stockpile of nuclear material is variously estimated as being enough for six to 10 bombs.
It is unclear whether it has managed to create a nuclear warhead for a missile.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India