N Korea demands its own probe into ship sinking
Seoul: North Korea`s military renewed its
call for its own investigation into the March deadly sinking
of a South Korean warship as it met on Thursday with the US-led UN
Command for the first time since the incident raised tensions
on the Korean peninsula.
An international investigation in May concluded a
North Korean submarine fired a torpedo that sank the 1,200-ton
Cheonan near the tense Korean sea border, killing 46 South
At the talks, the North`s officers stressed that
Pyongyang`s inspectors should be permitted to go to the site
of the sinking to verify those results, according to state
media. Seoul has so far rejected the North`s request.
"Field investigation by an inspection group ...
should precede under any circumstances to ensure the
successful opening of the general-level talks," the North`s
official Korean Central News Agency said in a dispatch.
Colonel-level officers gathered today at the Korean
border village of Panmunjom for about 90 minutes and discussed
the hosting of higher-level talks to discuss the sinking, the
UN Command said in a statement. The two sides agreed to hold
the second round of colonel-level meeting in Panmunjom around
July 20, KCNA said.
Today`s talks came a week after the UN Security
Council approved a statement that condemned the sinking but
stopped short of directly blaming North Korea.
South Korea and the US have called the sinking a
violation of the armistice agreement that ended the Korean War
in 1953, while Pyongyang flatly denies it was responsible and
has warned any punishment would trigger war.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Will NEET be conducted this year for medical courses? Supreme Court to pronounce order at 3.30 pm
- LG Electronics posts 415% increase in Q1 profit
- Apple to open its stores in India as govt panel waves 30% local sourcing condition
- Film with Alia Bhatt not typical hero-heroine one: Shah Rukh Khan
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for