N Korea demands own inspectors probe S Korean sinking
Seoul: North Korea Saturday made fresh demands
that the South must receive Pyongyang investigators and show
them evidence that the North torpedoed a South Korean warship,
killing 46 sailors.
"There is no ground whatsoever for the south side to
refuse to receive the inspection group of the NDC (National
Defence Commission) if the results of the investigation are
objective and scientific as claimed by the south side," the
North`s Defence Minister Kim Yong-Chun said in a message sent
to the South.
"The south side should immediately receive the
inspection group... and produce material evidence without a
shred of doubt before it," he was quoted as saying by
Pyongyang`s official Korean Central News Agency.
A multinational investigation led by South Korea
concluded Thursday there was "overwhelming" evidence that a
North Korean torpedo split the 1,200-tonne corvette in two on
March 26 in the Yellow Sea.
In an unusually swift response, the North`s powerful
NDC, chaired by leader Kim Jong-Il, said Thursday the report
was based on "sheer fabrication".
But South Korean Defence Minister Kim Tae-Young on
Friday rejected the North`s demand as "outrageous", saying it
would be "like a robber or a murderer insisting he must
inspect the crime scene".
South Korea said yesterday the North should instead
attend military talks with the US-led United Nations Command
(UNC) after the command wraps up its investigation to review
the findings of the investigation and determine the
scope of armistice violation that occurred in the sinking.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25