N Korea demands preconditions for talks resumption
Pyongyang: North Korea is taking a step back from earlier vows that it would never deal with South Korea`s leader, but it is demanding preconditions for resuming talks that include the cancellation of US-South Korea military drills.
South Korea is unlikely to accept most of the demands made in a statement on Thursday by the Policy Department of the North`s powerful National Defence Commission.
It follows comments on Wednesday by a senior US diplomat that Washington is open to diplomacy if Pyongyang improves ties with Seoul.
North Korea is also demanding that South Korea apologise for failing to properly respect late North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, and that it stop criticising Pyongyang over two deadly 2010 attacks blamed on North Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre