N Korea increased underwater military training in 2009: Report
Washington: North Korea has increased the number of underwater practices by a special unit of its military four times in 2009 from the previous year, according to US and South Korean intelligence agencies.
The South Korean government might refer to the finding as part of circumstantial evidence indicating North Korea`s involvement in the sinking of the South Korean warship in March 26 when Seoul makes an announcement on the results of its investigation into the incident, the sources said yesterday.
The announcement is expected to be made around Thursday.
The intelligence agencies have also found that North Korea has purchased underwater radio communications equipment, believed to be for use by the special military unit, from China and Russia in 2009, the sources said.
There is also information that a North Korean military commander was promoted after the March 26 incident in the Yellow Sea.
Following an unexplained explosion near the maritime border between the two Koreas, the 1,200-tonne corvette Cheonan patrol ship was split in half and sank, killing 46 sailors.
The South Korean government has not obtained evidence that clearly shows Pyongyang`s involvement, but suspicions are growing that a North Korean torpedo attack sank the ship.
North Korea has strongly denied involvement in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH