N Korea increased underwater military training in 2009: Report
Washington: North Korea has increased the number of underwater practices by a special unit of its military four times in 2009 from the previous year, according to US and South Korean intelligence agencies.
The South Korean government might refer to the finding as part of circumstantial evidence indicating North Korea`s involvement in the sinking of the South Korean warship in March 26 when Seoul makes an announcement on the results of its investigation into the incident, the sources said yesterday.
The announcement is expected to be made around Thursday.
The intelligence agencies have also found that North Korea has purchased underwater radio communications equipment, believed to be for use by the special military unit, from China and Russia in 2009, the sources said.
There is also information that a North Korean military commander was promoted after the March 26 incident in the Yellow Sea.
Following an unexplained explosion near the maritime border between the two Koreas, the 1,200-tonne corvette Cheonan patrol ship was split in half and sank, killing 46 sailors.
The South Korean government has not obtained evidence that clearly shows Pyongyang`s involvement, but suspicions are growing that a North Korean torpedo attack sank the ship.
North Korea has strongly denied involvement in the incident.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo