N Korea must give up nukes or face isolation: S Korea Prez
Seoul: South Korean President Park Geun-hye is urging North Korea to abandon its drive for nuclear weapons or face deepening isolation and deteriorating ties with Seoul.
Her national speech on Friday came four days after her inauguration as the country`s first female President. She already faces unusually low popularity ratings. Parliament is gridlocked over objections to her Cabinet nominations and her government restructuring plans.
Ties with Pyongyang are also tense. North Korea conducted its third nuclear test in mid-February and has vowed to continue building nuclear weapons. Pyongyang`s state media today criticised the start of US-South Korean military drills as invasion preparations. The allies call the drills defensive.
Park`s speech marked the 94th anniversary of protests against Japan`s 1910-1945 colonial rule of Korea. She urged Tokyo to take responsibility for past abuse.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof