N Korea opens 1st fast-food restaurant: Report
Seoul: You still can`t get a hamburger in Pyongyang, but the suspiciously similar "minced beef and bread" is for sale at the North Korean capital`s first fast-food restaurant, a latest news report has said.
The Samtaesong restaurant opened in the isolated communist country last month in cooperation with a Singaporean company, according to the Tokyo-based Choson Sinbo.
The Singaporean company, which the newspaper did not name, provided training to restaurant staff and supplied equipment.
The restaurant`s interior appears to be styled after fast-food joints the world over, but the menu is careful not to call its signature fare a hamburger lest it give the impression North Koreans had embraced the American icon.
North Korea`s authoritarian government is concerned that outside influences could undermine the regime and pose a threat to leader Kim Jong II`s tight grip on the nation of 24 million. It balks at using foreign words and coins alternatives in Korean instead.
But this is not the government`s first foray into foreign food. In March, the Choson Sinbo, widely considered a mouthpiece for the North Korean government, reported that Kim, a noted gourmand, had ordered the opening of the country`s first Italian restaurant.
The chefs there were trained in Italy and food made with imported ingredients was served
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Cute, adorable Royal baby Princess Charlotte at six months: Clicked by Mom Kate - See pic