N Korea plans to attack US; Russia fears ‘spiral`
Moscow: In the backdrop of growing tensions between North Korea and US, Russia on Friday warned against growing military activity near North Korea, BBC reported.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said, "Tensions in North Korea slipping out of control."
Lavrov also warned that the situation could slip "toward the spiral of a vicious circle".
He suggested that North Korea should cool down, calling on "all sides not to flex their military muscle" and avoid the danger of a belligerent response.
"We are concerned that alongside the adequate, collective reaction of the UN Security Council, unilateral action is being taken around North Korea that is increasing military activity," foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said.
Earlier in the day, the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un had announced preparations for strategic rocket strikes on the US mainland and military bases in the Pacific and South Korea after talks responding to US stealth bomber flights over the Korean peninsula.
The time had come to "settle accounts" with the US, BBC quoted Kim Jong-un as saying.
However, Russia had supported the new UN Security Council sanctions against North Korea in early March.
But Moscow had criticised actions taken outside the council, including US and South Korean military drills.
Annual military drills and fresh UN sanctions have irked the North Korean government.
After a late-night meeting with the army`s strategic rocket force, Kim Jong-un said, "The time has come to settle accounts with the US imperialists", as per BBC reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister