N Korea plans to attack US; Russia fears ‘spiral`
Moscow: In the backdrop of growing tensions between North Korea and US, Russia on Friday warned against growing military activity near North Korea, BBC reported.
Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said, "Tensions in North Korea slipping out of control."
Lavrov also warned that the situation could slip "toward the spiral of a vicious circle".
He suggested that North Korea should cool down, calling on "all sides not to flex their military muscle" and avoid the danger of a belligerent response.
"We are concerned that alongside the adequate, collective reaction of the UN Security Council, unilateral action is being taken around North Korea that is increasing military activity," foreign minister Sergei Lavrov said.
Earlier in the day, the North Korean leader Kim Jong-un had announced preparations for strategic rocket strikes on the US mainland and military bases in the Pacific and South Korea after talks responding to US stealth bomber flights over the Korean peninsula.
The time had come to "settle accounts" with the US, BBC quoted Kim Jong-un as saying.
However, Russia had supported the new UN Security Council sanctions against North Korea in early March.
But Moscow had criticised actions taken outside the council, including US and South Korean military drills.
Annual military drills and fresh UN sanctions have irked the North Korean government.
After a late-night meeting with the army`s strategic rocket force, Kim Jong-un said, "The time has come to settle accounts with the US imperialists", as per BBC reports.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says