‘N Korea proposes to resume talks unconditionally’
Shanghai: North Korea has proposed restarting stalled six-party talks on nuclear disarmament, without preconditions and as soon as possible, China`s official Xinhua news agency said on Saturday.
Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi met with his North Korean counterpart Pak Ui Chun on the sidelines of a Southeast Asian security summit on the Indonesian island of Bali, it said.
During the bilateral meeting between the two countries, Pak said North Korea proposed restarting the talks unconditionally, Xinhua said, without elaborating.
Yang called the friendship China had with North Korea a "precious treasure," saying the two should continue to maintain high-level exchanges and deepen economic and trade cooperation.
South and North Korea held high-level talks for the first time in two years in Indonesia on Friday.
The surprise meeting between their nuclear envoys, which was described as cordial and lasted about two hours, was the first such contact between the two Koreas since the last round of the six-way nuclear disarmament talks in 2008.
South Korea, the United States and China, which hosts the six-way forum, have agreed on a three-stage process for envoys from Seoul, Pyongyang and Washington to meet first before the negotiations can resume. Japan and Russia make up the rest of the participants.
North Korea walked away from the six-way nuclear talks more than two years ago, but last year called for their resumption.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy
- Ban on Salman Rushdie's 'The Satanic Verses' by Rajiv Gandhi govt was a mistake: P Chidambaram