N Korea rocket launch fails, China calls for calm
Beijing: China on Friday called for call and restraint on the Korean peninsula after North Korea admitted its much hyped long-range rocket failed to deliver a satellite into orbit.
"We hope all parties can maintain calm and restraint and not do anything to harm peace and stability on the Korean peninsula," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said in a two-line statement on the ministry`s website.
Pyongyang had defied pressure from the United States, China and others to push ahead with the launch it said was to put a weather satellite into orbit.
North Korea said on Friday a satellite carried by a rocket it launched earlier in the day did not enter orbit, confirming neighbouring countries` claims the long-range rocket launch ended in failure.
"Scientists, technicians and experts are currently verifying the cause of the failure," North Korea`s official KCNA news agency said.
Earlier, US and South Korean officials said North Korea`s much hyped long-range rocket crashed into the sea a few minutes after launch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets