N Korea rocket launch fails, China calls for calm
Beijing: China on Friday called for call and restraint on the Korean peninsula after North Korea admitted its much hyped long-range rocket failed to deliver a satellite into orbit.
"We hope all parties can maintain calm and restraint and not do anything to harm peace and stability on the Korean peninsula," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said in a two-line statement on the ministry`s website.
Pyongyang had defied pressure from the United States, China and others to push ahead with the launch it said was to put a weather satellite into orbit.
North Korea said on Friday a satellite carried by a rocket it launched earlier in the day did not enter orbit, confirming neighbouring countries` claims the long-range rocket launch ended in failure.
"Scientists, technicians and experts are currently verifying the cause of the failure," North Korea`s official KCNA news agency said.
Earlier, US and South Korean officials said North Korea`s much hyped long-range rocket crashed into the sea a few minutes after launch.
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Bipasha Basu - Karan Singh Grover wedding: Official pictures from mehendi/ sangeet ceremony are here
- Crucial file on 'truth behind Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose's disappearance' destroyed in 1972
- Russian woman raped in Goa by guest house owner
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!