N Korea rocket launch fails, China calls for calm
Beijing: China on Friday called for call and restraint on the Korean peninsula after North Korea admitted its much hyped long-range rocket failed to deliver a satellite into orbit.
"We hope all parties can maintain calm and restraint and not do anything to harm peace and stability on the Korean peninsula," Foreign Ministry spokesman Liu Weimin said in a two-line statement on the ministry`s website.
Pyongyang had defied pressure from the United States, China and others to push ahead with the launch it said was to put a weather satellite into orbit.
North Korea said on Friday a satellite carried by a rocket it launched earlier in the day did not enter orbit, confirming neighbouring countries` claims the long-range rocket launch ended in failure.
"Scientists, technicians and experts are currently verifying the cause of the failure," North Korea`s official KCNA news agency said.
Earlier, US and South Korean officials said North Korea`s much hyped long-range rocket crashed into the sea a few minutes after launch.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- J&K: 26 soldiers martyred, 22 militants killed as Army steps up security in Valley
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal