N Korea, Russia to open railway in October: Report
Seoul: North Korea and Russia will reopen a
cross-border railway in October after four years of work,
Pyongyang`s official news agency said on Monday.
From that month freight trains will start running between
Russia`s Far East city of Khasan and the port at Rason, the
North`s northeastern free trade zone, the agency cited a top
railway official as saying.
Work on repairing the 54-kilometre line began in October
It will connect to the Trans-Siberian Railway and help
boost economic cooperation and relations between the two
countries, the agency said.
The cross-border rail link is part of Russia`s efforts to
expand a foothold in the isolated nation. It is also building
a cargo terminal in the Rason zone, formerly known as Rajin
and Sonbong, which were two towns.
China has also been actively exploring investment
opportunities in Rason and plans to build a separate
cross-border rail link from Hunchun.
South Korea`s Yonhap news agency reported in February
that China had agreed to invest about USD 3 billion in
developing Rason as an export base.
The impoverished North is striving to revitalise its
economy through foreign investment in Rason, which was
declared a special economic zone in 1991 but failed to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu