N Korea, Russia to open railway in October: Report
Seoul: North Korea and Russia will reopen a
cross-border railway in October after four years of work,
Pyongyang`s official news agency said on Monday.
From that month freight trains will start running between
Russia`s Far East city of Khasan and the port at Rason, the
North`s northeastern free trade zone, the agency cited a top
railway official as saying.
Work on repairing the 54-kilometre line began in October
It will connect to the Trans-Siberian Railway and help
boost economic cooperation and relations between the two
countries, the agency said.
The cross-border rail link is part of Russia`s efforts to
expand a foothold in the isolated nation. It is also building
a cargo terminal in the Rason zone, formerly known as Rajin
and Sonbong, which were two towns.
China has also been actively exploring investment
opportunities in Rason and plans to build a separate
cross-border rail link from Hunchun.
South Korea`s Yonhap news agency reported in February
that China had agreed to invest about USD 3 billion in
developing Rason as an export base.
The impoverished North is striving to revitalise its
economy through foreign investment in Rason, which was
declared a special economic zone in 1991 but failed to
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- FM Jaitley orders ''immediate action'' towards implementation of Bankruptcy Code
- Did Sanal Sasidharan actually try to humiliate PV Sindhu with 'spit' remark? Here's the truth..
- JNU rape case: Victim's statement could not be recorded
- Rupee rebounds from 1-month low; closes up 13 paise against USD
- Kerala CM lauds Kamal Haasan for Chevalier Award