N Korea threatens `1,000-fold` increase in weapons

Last Updated: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 00:16

Seoul: North Korean media today threatened a "1,000-fold" military buildup as the United States ruled out lifting sanctions to try to coax the North into resuming talks aimed at its nuclear weapons programmes.

Last year, North Korea quit the nuclear disarmament talks and later tested an atomic device that drew tightened UN sanctions. But North Korea said today it is willing to rejoin the negotiations and remains committed to implementing a September 2005 accord on abandoning its nuclear programme in exchange for aid and security guarantees.
Instead, it accused the US and other participants of holding back the six-nation talks.
North Korea "is ready for the resumption of the talks but decided not to go hasty but to make ceaseless patient efforts now that the US and some other participating countries
are not ready for them," the country`s Foreign Ministry said today in a statement carried by the official Korean Central News Agency.

The talks involve the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia. The statement came after North Korea`s first vice foreign minister, Kim Kye Gwan, returned home from a five-day trip to China, the North`s key ally.

Kim said after meeting with Chinese nuclear envoy Wu Dawei yesterday that his country would not return to the disarmament talks unless sanctions are lifted, according to South Korea`s Yonhap news agency. US State Department spokesman PJ Crowley responded
yesterday that the sanctions exist because North Korea consistently has failed to live up to its international obligations.

"We have no intention of removing those sanctions as an enticement for dialogue," he told reporters. Today`s Minju Joson newspaper, part of North Korea`s state-controlled media, said in a commentary that the country`s war deterrent force will be strengthened "100- or 1,000-fold" as long as US military threats persist, according to KCNA.

The North has often made similar threats. The latest one came two days after South Korea wrapped up naval drills with the US, Australia and Japan aimed at intercepting illicit weapon shipments in a US-led program targeting nations such as North Korea.

Despite repeated assurances from Washington, the North believes any military drills involving the US are aimed at an eventual invasion. The naval drills were "an undisguised military provocation and declaration of a war" against North Korea, the North`s main Rodong Sinmun newspaper said in a commentary carried by KCNA.

Bureau Report



First Published: Sunday, October 17, 2010 - 00:16
TAGS:

More from zeenews

 
comments powered by Disqus