N-Korea vows `sacred war` against S-Korea, US
Seoul: North Korea threatened on Saturday to wage a "sacred war" in response to joint military exercises planned by its arch-rival South Korea and the United States, saying it was determined to keep Washington from imposing its political will on it.
The statement was issued by the North`s National Defence Commission a day after the secretive state held its first round of talks with the United States since the young and untested Kim Jong-un took office in December upon the death of his father.
"Now that a war has been declared against us, the army and people are firmly determined to counter it with a sacred war of our own style...," said the statement, carried by the state KCNA news agency.
"The US imperialists are the sworn enemy keen to launch another war of aggression to impose an `American style political mode` upon us...." The sacred war, it said, would use "strong means unknown to the world".
Pyongyang has periodically used the term "sacred war" to counter what it sees as a threat from the South and its US ally.
The United States and South Korea have scheduled to separate sets of war games next week. The North raised its level of military alert since the allies staged a live-fire artillery drill last week near a disputed sea border off the west coast -- also near a South Korean island bombarded by the North after a similar drill in 2010.
The latest drill, described by the South as routine, took place without incident.
On Friday, US Special Representative for North Korea Policy Glyn Davies ended two days of talks with his North Korean counterpart in Beijing aimed at leading to resumed six-way talks to persuade the North to abandon its nuclear programme.
Addressing reporters in Seoul on Saturday after briefing South Korean officials, Davies said the talks, the first since the death of longtime leader Kim Jong-il, were "a good beginning with the new government in the DPRK (North Korea)."
He reaffirmed the strong links between South Korea and the United States -- which has about 28,000 troops in the country.
In Beijing, Davies told reporters that the talks had covered nuclear non-proliferation, Pyongyang`s demands for food aid and other issues at the heart of regional tension. The two parties, he said, had made "a little bit of progress".
The attack on the island of Yeonpyeong in November 2010, in which four people, including two civilians, were killed, was the first on civilians since the end of the 1950-53 Korean War.
The two sides are technically still at war having signed only a truce, not a peace treaty, to end that conflict.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday