N Korea warns US commander in S Korea over drills
Seoul: North Korea has warned the top US commander in South Korea to cancel upcoming drills aimed at deterring Pyongyang`s military provocations.
Pyongyang`s official media say the warning was sent to General James Thurman today. The US and South Korea earlier notified the North of their plans to begin the annual Key Resolve and Foal Eagle exercises next month.
North Korea calls the joint drills a prominent example of US hostility against it. Pyongyang says the hostility compelled the North to conduct its February 12 nuclear test.
US officials are negotiating in the UN Security Council for tougher sanctions against North Korea for the nuclear test, the country`s third since 2006.
Washington stations more than 28,000 troops in South Korea in a legacy of the 1950-53 Korean War.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites
- Personality check: What is the colour of your eyes?