N Korea wary of copycat uprising: Study
Seoul: North Korea has taken a
carrot-and-stick approach to forestall the kind of popular uprisings seen in North Africa and the Middle East, according to a South Korean think-tank report.
The rebellions in the Arab world prompted the North to
take "various measures" to prevent public disturbances, said
the report, published Monday by the government-funded Korea
Institute for National Unification.
The state security department instructed regional police
stations on January 20 to step up ideological indoctrination,
At the same time police were ordered to be lenient over
offences related to people trying to earn a living.
The hardline communist state also suspended a nationwide
security crackdown that was planned after the birthday of
leader Kim Jong-Il on February 16, the report said.
Experts say North Korea tightened its blockade of
outside information following the Arab uprisings, fearing
copycat disturbances against the ruling Kim dynasty.
There have been reports in recent years of sporadic
small-scale protests against chronic food shortages and other
But South Korea`s Defence Minister Kim Kwan-Jin said
last month that the communist regime`s tight grip on its
people would prevent any Arab-style uprising.
The Kim family also enjoys support from the North`s 1.2
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'