N Korean ballistic missiles destabilising Mideast: Israel
Jerusalem: Accusing North Korea of proliferating ballistic missiles, Israel has said that such activities of Pyongyang are having "dangerous effects" on the stability and peace efforts in the Middle East.
"Israel would like to express its ongoing concern regarding the proliferation of ballistic missiles from North Korea, and to encourage the international community to strengthen its efforts in response to these dangers," Israel`s UN mission said in a letter to the North Korea sanctions committee.
"Israel is particularly concerned by the dangerous effects of the proliferation activities of the Democratic People`s Republic of Korea (North Korea)) on the stability and the peace efforts in the Middle East," Ha`aretz daily quoted the letter as saying.
Earlier, Israel`s ultra-nationalist Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman had claimed that a shipment of North Korean weapons, including rockets and rocket-propelled grenades, seized in Thailand last December was headed for radical group Hamas in the Gaza Strip and Shi’ite militant faction Hezbollah in Lebanon.
Lieberman had also accused Pyongyang of providing Iran and Syria with aid for their missile programmes.
North Korea was hit with fresh UN sanctions last year as a punishment for a nuclear test in May 2009, its second atomic detonation.
The expanded measures were aimed at cutting off North Korea`s arms sales, a vital export through which the country is estimated to earn over a billion dollar a year.
North Korea`s biggest arm sales reportedly come from ballistic missiles, with Iran and some other Middle Eastern states as customers.
A UN panel of experts delivered a report to the North Korea sanctions committee in May that suggested that Pyongyang has been using front companies to export nuclear and missile technology worldwide and has helped Iran, Syria and Myanmar.
Meanwhile, the US said yesterday it had no interest in getting into a "war of words" with North Korea, following the latter`s threat to launch a "sacred war" against Washington and its ally, South Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM
- Goa GBSHSE SSC Class 10th Results 2016 to be declared today May 25, 2016 at 3 PM