N Korean leader boasts son over rocket launch
Seoul: North Korean leader Kim Jong-il boasted his heir’s apparently son Kim Jong-un`s boldness, when the isolated country fired a long-range rocket in 2009 that drew international condemnation, a former senior intelligence official said on Wednesday.
The North claimed its success after the launch of a satellite into space on April 5, 2009, as part of a peaceful space programme.
However, South Korea and the United States said the launch was made to test North Korea`s ballistic missile technology and that no object entered orbit.
The same day Kim said that if enemies had intercepted the rocket, his youngest son would have struck back, said Han Ki-bum, who handled North Korean affairs at Seoul`s National
Intelligence Service between 2008 and 2009.
Kim`s threat appeared to have meant that the North`s leader-in-waiting could have retaliated by attacking a South Korean missile site, said Han, who now is affiliated with the
state-run Korea Institute for National Unification.
Han said Kim`s comments were carried in a North Korean public document in June 2009, which the expert said was designed to promote Jong-un`s artillery prowess as part of a
campaign to idolise the heir apparent son.
Kim Jong-un, a four-star general, who is widely believed to have expertise in artillery systems, is being groomed to succeed his father as the country`s next leader.
The succession, if made, would mark communism`s second hereditary power transfer. The elder Kim inherited power from his father, the country`s founder Kim Il-sung, who died in
In 2009, North Korea quit talks on ending its nuclear weapons programmes in protest of the international condemnation over its rocket launch, and subsequently conducted its second nuclear test.
Still, the North has expressed interest in returning to the disarmament-for-aid talks that involve the two Koreas, the US, China, Japan and Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj