Nagasaki to slam govt for not backing statement against nuke weapon use
Nagasaki: The Nagasaki city government will condemn the central government in its annual ceremony in August for not joining a group of countries endorsing a statement against the use of nuclear weapons, its draft message said on Saturday.
In the message to be read on August 9 for the 68th anniversary of the 1945 atomic bombing of the city, Mayor Tomihisa Taue will say Tokyo`s stance "even looked as if it was justifying the use of nuclear weapons," according to the draft.
Japan did not endorse the statement announced at April`s preparatory committee for the next Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty review meeting, which urges that nuclear weapons never be used under any circumstances.
Nagasaki plans to finalise the message by July 31 at a committee comprising the mayor, bomb survivors and others.
The draft also lists nine countries that possess nuclear arms and demands they reduce their nuclear arsenals, urging them to respond sincerely to the voices of survivors, called Hibakusha, as it notes Japan is the country to have been attacked with nuclear weapons. (Kyodo)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof