Nairobi terror attack: One more gunman arrested, says Kenyan Interior Minister
Almost a week after al-Shabab militants attacked a mall, Kenyan Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku on Sunday refused to talk on the issue that warnings of an impending attack on Westgate mall were given a year back.
Zee Media Bureau
Nairobi: Almost a week after al-Shabab militants attacked a mall, Kenyan Interior Minister Joseph Ole Lenku on Sunday refused to talk on the issue that warnings of an impending attack on Westgate mall were given a year back.
News reports had earlier stated that the Kenyan government was warned by its National Intelligence Service a year ago of an impending terror attack on Westgate mall.
However, Lenku dismissed the issue saying that intelligence issues are confidential.
Lenku further said that one more gunman has been arrested in the Westgate terror attack in which at least 67 people killed.
The Kenyan government has already arrested nine suspects over the shopping centre attack, Lenku said while addressing a press conference today.
Lenku refused to divulge any more details about the arrested person.
After the deadly assault by Islamist gunmen, US government had issued travel advisories warning its citizens from travelling in Kenya.
Lenku said that the travel advisory is “counter-productive” in fight against the terrorism.
He also said that all the hostages have been rescued.
On September 21, gunmen armed with weapons and grenades attacked and took control of Westgate mall for four days killing dozens of people. Five militants were killed in the rescue operation.