Najib for social equality in multi-ethnic Malaysia
Kuala Lumpur: Prime Minister Najib Razak has underlined his government’s determination to create social equality in the county under his `1Malaysia` concept, holding out hopes for the ethnic Indians who have often complained that the authorities were not doing enough for the minority community.
"The principle behind 1Malaysia is to create social equality and fairness for all. The concept must be meaningful, it should not be a mere rhetoric or political gimmick," said Najib, who has been championing the 1Malaysia concept since he took office in March this year.
Last week, Najib admitted that the woes of the ethnic Indians were genuine and needed to be addressed. He underlined his government`s resolve to solve the "serious problems" of the ethnic Indian community here, but said "it will take a huge effort" to resolve them.
Launching 1Malaysia programme at Ipoh yesterday, Najib said that while the rights of the Malays would be protected, what was entitled for the Indians, Chinese and other races would be given to them as well.
"No group should feel they are sidelined by the Government," he underlined. "When we say 1Malaysia, we can feel that we are one in this country. Every race has its own contribution to the country. The contribution must be recognised," he was quoted as saying by the local media.
Najib said the country would be run according to the Federal Constitution. "My Government is for all. I am the Prime Minister for all. The Deputy Prime Minister (Muhyddin Yassin) is also for all he told thousands of people who had assembled to hear him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof