Naked man beheads mother thinking she is a witch
London: A 44-year-old Briton beheaded his elderly mother because he believed she was a witch, and then wandered on the streets of London naked like a "zombie", a court has heard.
Daniel Coriat, said to be a paranoid schizophrenic, will spend the rest of his life in a secure mental ward, the Daily Mail reported.
After the killing, police found him hiding in a wheelie bin in a train station.
He told officers he was the "son of god" and was living in the bin since he "came down from the sky two months ago", the Old Bailey court heard.
Officials found his 76-year-old mother Elizabeth was brutally murdered at the flat they shared in Forest Hill in south London, in March 2012.
She had suffered 50 separate injuries and her head had been cut off.
Prosecutors accepted a guilty plea to manslaughter.
Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the age of 18, the man often flies into explosive rages when he stops taking his medication, the court heard.
Neighbours saw him walking naked near his flat, and said he had a blank vacant stare, and walked "really slowly like a zombie, staring straight ahead".
During a court hearing, he claimed his mother was a witch.
"You saw the body when it was taken away. It didn`t look human," he said.
Flanked by psychiatric nurses, the man laughed loudly in the dock when the judge ordered him to be locked away in a mental hospital indefinitely.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference