Naked man beheads mother thinking she is a witch
London: A 44-year-old Briton beheaded his elderly mother because he believed she was a witch, and then wandered on the streets of London naked like a "zombie", a court has heard.
Daniel Coriat, said to be a paranoid schizophrenic, will spend the rest of his life in a secure mental ward, the Daily Mail reported.
After the killing, police found him hiding in a wheelie bin in a train station.
He told officers he was the "son of god" and was living in the bin since he "came down from the sky two months ago", the Old Bailey court heard.
Officials found his 76-year-old mother Elizabeth was brutally murdered at the flat they shared in Forest Hill in south London, in March 2012.
She had suffered 50 separate injuries and her head had been cut off.
Prosecutors accepted a guilty plea to manslaughter.
Diagnosed with paranoid schizophrenia at the age of 18, the man often flies into explosive rages when he stops taking his medication, the court heard.
Neighbours saw him walking naked near his flat, and said he had a blank vacant stare, and walked "really slowly like a zombie, staring straight ahead".
During a court hearing, he claimed his mother was a witch.
"You saw the body when it was taken away. It didn`t look human," he said.
Flanked by psychiatric nurses, the man laughed loudly in the dock when the judge ordered him to be locked away in a mental hospital indefinitely.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing