Naked protest for China`s Liu Xiaobo at Nobel ceremony
Stockholm: Four naked men tried to cross police cordons minutes before the Nobel ceremony in Stockholm to draw attention to the continued imprisonment of Chinese dissident Liu Xiaobo, Swedish public broadcaster SVT said.
The protest outside the Concert Hall in the centre yesterday of the Swedish capital came three years to the day after the writer and human rights activist was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.
"Four people were prevented from entering the restricted area around the Concert Hall," Stockholm`s police said, confirming the TV report.
The men had been arrested on charges of disorderly conduct, according to a police spokeswoman, who did not give the nationality of the four.
Liu was sentenced to 11 years in prison in 2009 on subversion charges after co-authoring Charter 08, a bold petition calling for political reform in his Communist-ruled homeland.
He was prevented from attending the Nobel Peace Prize award ceremony in Oslo the following year.
Earlier this year, more than 140 Nobel laureates urged China to release the activist in a letter signed by 400,000 people from more than 130 countries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof