NAM foreign secretaries begin deliberations in Tehran
Tehran: Foreign Secretaries of the 120-member Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) have begun preparing the ground work for NAM’s stand on major international issues and promotion of multi lateral co-operation at their meeting here.
Top officials from India, Iran and Afghanistan are also meeting on the sidelines this evening to discuss regional security and economic co-operation.
Issues likely to be deliberated upon include impact of international sanctions on Iran, developments in Syria, Palestine, reforms in United Nations, Promotion of South-South co-operation etc. Food security, the energy situation and sustainable development are other key issues that could be deliberated upon.
A meeting of foreign ministers on August 28-29, and then, the XVIth summit on August 30-31 will follow the foreign secretaries meeting. The trilateral meeting between India, Iran and Afghanistan is being seen as significant in the wake of expanding trade and economic co-operation with the upcoming Chabahar Port. Located in South East Iran, Chabahar Port offers great opportunities in trade and commerce for India in Afghanistan and Central Asia, as it bypasses Pakistan, which blocks the land routes to Afghanistan. The issue of security and stability in Afghanistan is also likely to figure in the talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family