NAM foreign secretaries begin deliberations in Tehran
Tehran: Foreign Secretaries of the 120-member Non-Aligned Movement (NAM) have begun preparing the ground work for NAM’s stand on major international issues and promotion of multi lateral co-operation at their meeting here.
Top officials from India, Iran and Afghanistan are also meeting on the sidelines this evening to discuss regional security and economic co-operation.
Issues likely to be deliberated upon include impact of international sanctions on Iran, developments in Syria, Palestine, reforms in United Nations, Promotion of South-South co-operation etc. Food security, the energy situation and sustainable development are other key issues that could be deliberated upon.
A meeting of foreign ministers on August 28-29, and then, the XVIth summit on August 30-31 will follow the foreign secretaries meeting. The trilateral meeting between India, Iran and Afghanistan is being seen as significant in the wake of expanding trade and economic co-operation with the upcoming Chabahar Port. Located in South East Iran, Chabahar Port offers great opportunities in trade and commerce for India in Afghanistan and Central Asia, as it bypasses Pakistan, which blocks the land routes to Afghanistan. The issue of security and stability in Afghanistan is also likely to figure in the talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog