`NAM necessary for promoting peace and security`
Belgrade: Members of an international symposium held on Monday agreed that the Non-Aligned Movement is, 20 years after the Belgrade summit, still necessary for promoting global peace and security in 21st century.
Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic expressed confidence that the countries created in the territory of the former Yugoslavia, 20 years later, though having observer status in the NAM, can do much on the re-conquering of NAM`s role as an important player when it comes to world peace and security.
Jeremic reiterated the proposal that the 50 year anniversary summit of the NAM founding under the auspices of SFR Yugoslavia should be held in Belgrade in 2011.
Nigeria Foreign Minister Alhaji Jibril Maigari said the Movement is still necessary on the world political scene, pointing out that the world today needs radical changes in order to tackle terrorism, poverty and hunger.
Former Cypriot president Yorgos Vassos Vassiliou also spoke at the summit, stating that the NAM should deal with the issue of growing differences between the developed and developing countries.
Though announced, Budimir Loncar, foreign policy advisor to the Croatian President Stjepan Mesic, did not attend the conference on health reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- How will Sonowal's govt solve problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam?
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam - Part II
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part III
- How will Sonowal's govt solve the problem of illegal Bangladeshi migration in Assam? - Part IV
- Batla House encounter: Congress under scrutiny as new IS video emerges
- IPL 9 VIDEO: When Shikhar Dhawan, Yuvraj Singh became Gabbar and taxi driver
- First Talgo train trial on Bareilly-Moradabad rail route on May 29
- Rahul Gandhi to lead rally against AAP, BJP over Delhi power crisis
- Uttarakhand Board Class 12th Examination Results 2016: (uaresults.nic.in) Uttarakhand Board (UK) Class 12th Results 2016, Uttarakhand Class 12 Results 2016 to be declared today
- There was no intention to show disrespect to Stalin or DMK, clarifies Jayalalithaa