`NAM necessary for promoting peace and security`
Belgrade: Members of an international symposium held on Monday agreed that the Non-Aligned Movement is, 20 years after the Belgrade summit, still necessary for promoting global peace and security in 21st century.
Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic expressed confidence that the countries created in the territory of the former Yugoslavia, 20 years later, though having observer status in the NAM, can do much on the re-conquering of NAM`s role as an important player when it comes to world peace and security.
Jeremic reiterated the proposal that the 50 year anniversary summit of the NAM founding under the auspices of SFR Yugoslavia should be held in Belgrade in 2011.
Nigeria Foreign Minister Alhaji Jibril Maigari said the Movement is still necessary on the world political scene, pointing out that the world today needs radical changes in order to tackle terrorism, poverty and hunger.
Former Cypriot president Yorgos Vassos Vassiliou also spoke at the summit, stating that the NAM should deal with the issue of growing differences between the developed and developing countries.
Though announced, Budimir Loncar, foreign policy advisor to the Croatian President Stjepan Mesic, did not attend the conference on health reasons.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'