Namdhari leader`s UK attacker wanted to scare him
London: A Britain-based call centre worker on trial for attacking Namdhari sect leader Satguru Uday Singh with an axe has told the court he bought the weapon with the intention of scaring his victim.
Harjit Singh Toor admits wounding but denies the attempted murder of the Sikh leader at a gurdwara in Leicester last year.
He had earlier claimed the attack was planned in revenge for being sexually assaulted by Uday Singh in India in the 1990s.
"I was toying back and forth. I wanted to hurt Uday, I wanted to cause him harm. I remember thinking, as I was walking up to him, that I just wanted to scare him... And make him realise that I hadn`t forgot," the 27-year-old told the jury at Birmingham Crown Court yesterday.
"My emotions just erupted and I just remember wanting to hurt his hands. That`s when I charged up on to the stage and swung the axe. It`s probably the biggest mistake I have ever made in my life. I accept what I have done was wrong," he added.
According to local court reports, Toor denied disguising himself as a Namdhari to fool other worshippers at the temple, although he accepted that he had concealed the axe under a shawl.
Giving evidence via video link from the Namdhari headquarters in Bhaini Sahib near Ludhiana earlier this week, Uday Singh had rejected claims he had abused Toor as "totally absurd".
The prosecution alleges last August`s attack at a packed Gurdwara Namdhari Temple on Linden Street, Leicester, was motivated by religious hatred.
The trial is expected to conclude at the end of this week.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand