Namibian President suspends defence chief
Windhoek: Namibian President Hifikepunye
Pohamba has suspended the country`s defence force chief over
alleged "irregularities", which media on Thursday linked to possible
kickbacks from a Chinese supplier.
"The decision to suspend Lieutenant General Martin
Shalli stems from serious allegations of irregularities, which
must be thoroughly investigated," a State House statement
released late last night said.
"The suspension will facilitate an unhindered
No details were given on the probe, but the Namibian
daily today reported possible links between Shalli and a
Chinese company that supplies the Namibia Defence Force (NDF).
The newspaper reported that Shalli is accused of
allegedly having millions of Namibian dollars transferred to
him, through a third party, by the Chinese company.
The country`s state prosecutor had recently travelled
to China, among other countries, to finalise the
investigation, the newspaper added.
The suspension is the second scandal involving Chinese
firms to rock Namibia this month, following a graft probe
involving a firm linked to the son of President Hu Jintao.
Two Namibians and a Chinese national were arrested
last week as part of a probe into bribery allegations
involving Nuctech, a company headed until last year by Hu`s
38-year-old son, Hu Haifeng.
The three are expected to make a court appearance in
the capital Windhoek tomorrow.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir