Napoleon`s letter in faulty English goes on sale
London: A rare letter written by Napoleon Bonaparte in English will go under the hammer in France later this week and is estimated to fetch around USD 100,000.
Auction house Osenat describes it as the first letter written by the French emperor in English on St Helena, after he was defeated in the Battle of Waterloo and exiled to the British island.
He was determined to learn the language of his British captors, but the letter shows he had not quite the mastery he would have liked, the BBC reported.
The yellowed sheet of paper is one of three written from St Helena by him.
Just after arriving there, Napoleon started daily English lessons given by his aide, Emmanuel, the Comte de las Cases.
Boredom was a spur, as well as a desire to understand what was being communicated around him.
The ex-emperor was a keen student, and soon, when he could not sleep at night, he took to writing short letters to his teacher.
His prose is not always easy for modern English speakers to understand.
"Count Las Case. It is two o`clock after midnight, I have enow (enough) sleep, I go then finish the night into to cause with you," begins the letter.
"He shall land above seven day, a ship from Europe that we shall give account from anything who this shall have been even today of first January thousand eight hundred sixteen," it goes on.
The auction will take place in Fontainebleau, south of Paris, on Sunday and is expected to fetch up to USD 100,000.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- LIVE SCORE: 1st Test, Day 2 - England vs New Zealand
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday