Nasheed has done a Julian Assange, says WikiLeaks
London: Maldives opposition leader Mohamed Nasheed has "done a Julian Assange", said WikiLeaks on Twitter after the former president took refuge at the Indian High Commission in Male.
"Former President Nasheed of the Maldives has `done a Julian Assange` and taken shelter inside the Indian High Commission in the Maldives," tweeted WikiLeaks.
Julian Assange sought refuge in Ecuador`s embassy in London in June 2012 in a bid to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he faces rape allegations.
Assange, who founded the whistleblowing website WikiLeaks, fears that if he goes to Sweden to be questioned over rape allegations, Swedish authorities will allow him to be extradited to the US.
WikiLeaks has published thousands of US diplomatic cables on its website.
Mohamed Nasheed, who was forced to step down as the Maldives president last year, took refuge at the Indian High Commission in Male Tuesday after a court issued an arrest order for his failing to attend a hearing in the illegal detention of a judge.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Mumbai High court allows entry of women in Haji Ali Dargah
- DNA: Analysis of fraudulent doctor in Noida treating patients with wrong treatment
- DNA: Analyzing Balochistan's citizens struggle for freedom
- DNA: Two Syrian boys grieving death of brother killed in airstrike
- DNA: Analyzing world's first driverless taxi developed by Singapore company
- Italy quake death toll hits 278, state funeral planned
- Jigisha killer Ravi Kapoor convicted in taxi-driver murder case
- Records aside, US Open getting personal for Serena Williams
- World Risk Report 2016: India ranks 77th in world disaster risk index
- SC restrains Tamil Nadu Police from arresting expelled AIADMK MP