Nasheed`s arrest selective justice: Amnesty
London: The arrest of former President Mohamed Nasheed is an example of selective justice from the Maldives authorities and highlights their failure to investigate other serious human rights abuses in the country, Amnesty International has said.
Nasheed, 45, who resigned as President in February 2012 under disputed circumstances, was arrested in the Maldivian capital Male yesterday.
He will today face trial for "unlawfully" ordering the arrest of Chief Criminal Judge Abdulla Mohamed during his Presidency.
"Of course political leaders, including Nasheed, should be held to account but targeting of Nasheed is an example of selective justice," said Abbas Faiz, Amnesty International?s Maldives Researcher yesterday.
Amnesty International and many others have documented a wide range of human rights violations committed by security forces following Nasheed`s resignation.
These include police violence against peaceful protesters and the deliberate targeting of Nasheed`s supporters.
He added that no one has been held to account for the human rights violations despite the huge amount of documentary evidences.
"The Maldivian authorities must carry out a full investigation into alleged abuses by anyone and not just target political opponents," he said.
He said that former President Maumoon Abdul Gayoom (1978-2008) has never been investigated for alleged abuses committed during his rule. All leaders should be held to account for alleged abuses and in fair trials.
Nasheed had sought refuge at the Indian High Commission for 11 days to evade arrest following his failure to attend court for what he called a "politically motivated" trial to bar him from contesting in the presidential election slated for September 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- World's heaviest woman loses 50 kilos in just 12 days