National defence policy not a threat to anyone: China
Beijing: Responding to Japan`s newly adopted defence policy, China has denied that the country`s national defence policy is a threat to any countries and slammed Tokyo`s views over China`s development as "irresponsible”.
Japan had in a new defence policy outline adopted yesterday expressed increased concerns about China`s military rise. It introduced a new defence posture enabling more flexible responses to threats including terrorism and North Korean missiles, while beefing up security around its remote islands.
"China adheres to a path of peaceful development and pursues a national defence policy that is defensive in nature," Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Jiang Yu said in a response posted on the ministry website. "It is not our intention to threaten, nor does it constitute a threat to anyone."
The National Defence Program Guidelines also described China`s military rise and other actions such as its increasing naval activities around Japan`s southwestern islands as a "matter of concern for the region and the international community”.
But Jiang said Tokyo`s remarks on China`s development were irresponsible and it had no right to represent the international community in its views.
"Individual countries have no right to represent the international community and make irresponsible remarks on China`s development," Jiang said.
She added that Japan is among countries that have benefited from the "tremendous opportunities for shared prosperity" that China`s development has brought.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan